Assistant Professor, Structural Engineering
Ph.D. (2014), Structural Engineering, University of California, San Diego, USA
M.A. (2013), Applied Mathematics, University of California, San Diego, USA
M.S. (2009), Civil Engineering, Tsinghua University, Beijing, China
B.S. (2006), Civil Engineering, Beihang University, Beijing, China
Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering
Office: 6-259 Donadeo Innovation Cntr for Engineering
Phone: 780 492 2722
Dr Li is mainly fascinated in developing and applying (1) probabilistic and statistical methods to engineering risk/reliability problems, and (2) optimization methods to inverse engineering problems in the field of structural engineering. Engineering risk assessment consists of uncertainty quantification and propagation through physics-based (e.g., nonlinear finite element) and/or data-based modeling. This serves to assist decision-making in the process of probability-based design, retrofit, and maintenance in the face of uncertainty. He is also extensively involved with inverse engineering problems (e.g., structural design optimization, nonlinear FE model updating using field-recorded and experimental data). Specifically, his research interests includes:
Mechanics-based nonlinear FE modeling: Concrete/masonry structures, soil-structure-interaction, etc.
Probabilistic modeling: Stochastic modeling of natural hazard loads, traffic loads, deterioration processes, etc.
Structural reliability and risk: Uncertainty propagation, risk quantification, probability-based code calibration and design optimization.
Applications of reliability methods to various engineering structures: Concrete bridges, masonry buildings, steel girders/pipelines, etc.
Statistical modeling of expensive computer models: Bayesian model calibration, validation with error assessment, and uncertainty quantification
System identification: Statistical structural health monitoring, etc.
FE modeling and probabilistic assessment of aged structures: Structural deterioration (corrosion), fatigue, altered load condition, etc.
Earthquake engineering: performance-based engineering, seismic response modification strategies (e.g., isolation, self-centering technologies)
- 2017.01 – present, Assistant Profesor, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Canada
- 2015.01 – 2016.12, Postdoctoral Researcher, University of California, San Diego, USA
Selected Refereed Journal Publications:
- Su, L., Wan, H.P., Abtahi S., Li, Y., Ling, X.Z., “Comprehensive investigation of soil-pile-structure system subjected to lateral spreading: shaking table test and parallel finite element simulation”, Canadian Geotechnical Journal, 2018 (Under Revision)
- Gu Q., Wang L., Li Y., Deng XW. “Multi-scale response sensitivity analysis based on direct differentiation method for concrete structures”. Composites Part B, 2018
- Ghaneei M., Komeili A., Li Y., Parent E., Adeeb S. “3D markerless asymmetry analysis in the management of adolescent idiopathic scoliosis”. BMC Musculoskeletal Disorders, 2018
- Ghazizadeh, S., Cruz Noguez, C., Li, Y., “Numerical study of hybrid GFRP-steel reinforced concrete shear walls and SFRC walls”, Engineering Structures, 2018.
- Koch, J., Driver, Robert; Li, Y., Manarin, M., “Evaluation of CSA S16-14 Asymmetry Parameter for Singly-symmetric Beams”, Canadian Journal of Civil Engineering, 2018.
- Liu, XB, Zhang, H., Ndubuaku, O., Xia, M., Chen, Y., Cheng, JJ., Li Y., Adeeb, S. “Effects of Stress-strain Characteristics on Local Buckling of X80 Pipe Subjected to Strike-Slip Fault Movement”, Journal of Pressure Vessel Technology, 2018.
- Li, Y. and Conte, J.P., “Probabilistic Performance Evaluation of Seismic Isolation System for California High-speed Rail Prototype Bridge”, Journal of Structural Engineering, 2017. (Under Revision)
- Li, Y. and Conte, J.P., Framework for Probabilistic Performance-based Optimum Seismic Design of Structures”, Structural Safety, 2017. (Under Review)
- Su, L., Wan, H.P., Li, Y., Ling, X.Z., “Soil-pile-quay wall system with liquefaction-induced lateral spreading: experimental investigation, numerical simulation, and global sensitivity analysis”, Journal of Geotechnical and Geoenvironmental Engineering, 2018.
- Li, Y. and Conte, J.P., “Probabilistic Performance-based Optimum Seismic Design of Seismic Isolation for California High-speed Rail Prototype Bridge”, Earthquake Engineering and Structural Dynamics, 2017.
- Li, Y., Astroza, R., Conte, J.P., and Soto, P., “Nonlinear Finite Element Model Updating and Reconstruction of the Response of an Instrumented Isolated Bridge Subjected to the 2010 Maule Earthquake”, Earthquake Engineering and Structural Dynamics, DOI:10.1002/eqe.2925, 2017.
- Li, Y., Huang, S., Lin, C., Gu, Q., and Qiu, Z., “Response Sensitivity Analysis for Plastic Plane Problems based on Direct Differentiation Method”, Computers and Structures 182,392-403, 2017.
- Astroza, R., Ebrahimian, H., Li, Y., and Conte, J.P., “Bayesian Nonlinear Structural FE Model Updating for Damage Identification of Civil Structures Subjected to Unknown Inputs”, Mechanical Systems and Signal Processing, 93, 661-687, 2017.
Gu, Q., Liu, Y., Li, Y. (corresponding author), and Lin, C., “Finite Element Response Sensitivity Analysis of Three-dimensional Soil-Foundation-Structure Interaction (SFSI) Systems”, Earthquake Engineering and Engineering Vibration, 2017 (accepted).
Li, Y., Conte, J.P. and and Barbato, M., “Effects of Seismic Isolation on the Seismic Response of a California High-Speed Rail Prototype Bridge with Soil-Structure and Track-Structure Interaction”, Earthquake Engineering and Structural Dynamics, July 2016.
- Li, Y. and Conte, J.P., “Influence of the Time-Varying Frequency Content in Earthquake Ground Motions on Seismic Response of Linear Elastic Systems”, Earthquake Engineering and Structural Dynamics, 2016.
- Shi, Y.J., Li, Y., and Wang, Y.Q., “Practical Aseismic Analysis Method for Point-supported Glass Curtain Wall with Single-layer Cable Net”, Building Structure 25(7), (in Chinese), 2010.
- Li, Y., Shi, Y.J., and Wang, Y.Q., “Analysis of the Seismic Response of Single-layer Cable Net in Glass Wall Coupled with Main Structure”, Building Science, (in Chinese), 2010.
- Shi, Y.J., Li, Y., and Wang, Y.Q., “Discussion of Analysis Method of the Seismic Response of Point-Supported Facade with Multi-Point Input of Primary Structure”, Engineering Mechanics, 27(11), (in Chinese), 2010.
- Li, Y., Shi, Y.J., and Wang, Y.Q., “Research on Nonlinearity in Seismic Response of Cable Net in Point-supporting Glass Wall”, Journal of Vibration and Shock 10, 31-35, (in Chinese), 2010.
- Li, Y., Shi, Y.J., and Wang, Y.Q., “Analysis of the Seismic Response of Single-layer Cable Net in Glass Wall Coupled with Main Structure”, Building Science, (in Chinese), 2009.
- Li, Y., Shi, Y.J., and Wang, Y.Q., “Study on Seismic Design Method of Single-layer Cable Net Structures for Point-supporting Glass Wall for Beijing Tucheng Telephone Exchange”, Earthquake Resistant Engineering and Retrofitting 32(2), 112-117, (in Chinese), 2009.
- Li, Y., Shi, Y.J., and Wang, Y.Q., “Seismic Action on Single-layer Cable Net Structures”, Industrial Construction Supplement, (in Chinese), 2008.